Friday 24 May 2013

Pushing Death Away

Do we spend our whole lives trying to avoid death? This might sound like a preposterous question, but please bear with me. Why do we eat and drink? Our bodies need food and water to operate on a day to day basis. In a way, when we are eating and drinking, we are pushing death away from us. As much as I like to eat, and as much as I enjoy the taste of certain foods, it is rather depressing to think about it. I am subconsciously running away from the one promise that every human has in this life: death. Nevertheless, I should be thankful for what I have, and I pray to God that I will become truly thankful (I actually do discuss this with God, and I am not throwing his name around to be trendy). Why should people wear clothes? Why should people live in houses, or inside of any building for that matter? The physical warmth holds the unavoidable death captive for the time being. Although death is inescapable, many of us live with the thought that "we are eternal". I know that I have that thought in the back of my mind, unfortunately. I also believe that people have souls, and I trust that the soul is the only part of the human body which lasts forever. Personally, I don't want to live as though I'm going to exist on this earth for all eternity though. This (cult)ure (in which I am referring to the world in general) is built around meaningless distractions. 2 Timothy 3: 1 - 5 ... "But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these." When simplified, death is a step into a haze. It is studied, yet it is also unseen. Bodies can undergo autopsies, but the inspectors won't know where that soul has stepped. Death is ubiquitous, yet so many live in fear of it. A quote comes to mind, which is taken from the song "The Calm Before" by Mars Ill: "... genocide, it happens globally / we just get shook up when it happens locally ..." 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment