Tuesday 14 May 2013

church and introverts

A note to those who are reading: this is not intended to insult the Christian church, or to personally offend anybody. I think that offending people without a purpose is idiotic (and I'm guilty of committing such a crime). "Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen."

"Where do introverts belong in God's churches?" is a question that has come to mind lately. I'll admit, I'm somewhat bewildered that this question hasn't danced in my mind earlier. Catch as catch can though. Anyway, I had an epiphany regarding this topic: being a part of a church is difficult for me, because I am an introverted person. I've finally come to discover that the pinnacle of church is community, instead of lessons being taught inside of the building. Side Note: I won't hold any resentment against you if you think that I'm an imbecile for just realizing that. I struggle with talking to others, with shaking their hands, with hearing people pray, with paying attention to what's being spoken about from the stage. I don't like listening to myself a lot of times, which also makes listening to others difficult for me. I like the music though; I like studying the lyrics, and singing parts of the songs. Being with other people is quite tiring to me, all around. I learn more when I study Biblical passages on my own, than I would with a group of other people. When I study with others I obtain headaches for some reason (and I get headaches on a daily schedule, so this doesn't really help me out). When I am by myself, I often times feel more tenacious, and more rejuvenated. I can be an eager young gentleman sometimes. But as soon as I have to encounter people, I feel weak and defeated. God, where do I belong in the church? 

Song of the Day: Brand New - Jesus Christ



No comments:

Post a Comment