Sunday 22 September 2013

Musical Gems from 2013

Most of these weren't even released in 2013, but I've enjoyed listening to these albums this year. 

1. MC Forty & Clutch - Sleeping Showers

This is an artistic Hip-Hop record, in which the main lyrical theme is depression. It's emotional, odd, and very personal. Musically speaking, I can't compare it to any other album - definitely not a carbon copy. Check out: Goodnightrous, Double Dope, Don't Fear the Unknown


You can download the album for free on Bandcamp:

http://mcforty.com/album/sleeping-showers



2. Silverstein - Discovering the Waterfront


This will remind you why you used to love or hate emo music. It took some time for Silverstein to grow on me, but now I enjoy their music quite a lot! Best songs: The Ides of March, Discovering the Waterfront, My Heroine, Three Hours Back




3. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city


This is a dark and graphic album that focuses on issues such as: alcohol / drug abuse, gang violence, and prostitution, among other topics. The main theme is fighting against the evil that the world offers us, and searching for something better. Favorite song: Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst




4. AFI - Sing the Sorrow


My friend Chad got me into this band (I hope you read this, by the way). AFI is a band that sets well composed, profound poetry to catchy, aggressive, emotional music. Davey Havok has a killer set of lungs. Favorite songs: Dancing Through Sunday, Girl's Not Grey, The Leaving Song, ...But Home is Nowhere




5. Anathallo - Canopy Glow


I wasn't sure how this album would compare to Floating World, but I like this one even more. Anathallo is my favourite Folk / Indie band. Favorite joints: The River, Cafetorium, All the First Pages




6. Good Charlotte - The Chronicles of Life and Death


You can make fun of Good Charlotte all you want, but I'll still like them. This album has a Pop Punk sound that could only come from 2004. The lyrics revolve around: suicide, pressure that's evoked by the media, relationships, and putting faith in God despite dark times (along with other subjects). My favorite songs: SOS, Predictable, Secrets, The Truth, We Believe




7. AFI - Decemberunderground


This album is quite a bit different than Sing the Sorrow, but it's still very enjoyable. It has more experimental, electronic elements. I'd also say it's more catchy, and that it contains more of a Pop feel to it. It's not all Pop though, as it still has those Post-Hardcore / Punk vibes that their past material had. Best tracks (and no, I'm not including the single Miss Murder): Summer Shudder, The Interview, The Killing Lights  




8. Number One Gun - The North Pole Project


This album is a masterpiece. Jeff Schneeweis wrote, performed, recorded, and produced the entire album by himself (minus the scarce amount of guest vocals / musicianship / whatever). It's most obvious that he's skilled as a vocalist, but his drum work, programming, production, and guitar work are all well executed (among other musical qualities that I may have missed). Listen to: Million, Wake Me Up, The Different Ones, This Holiday


No comments:

Post a Comment