Tuesday 2 July 2013

His Spirit

I believe that writing is one of the ways that God connects me to His Spirit. Thanks for giving me hands to write. Although my mind is chaotic, I can usually make sense of some of the thoughts circulating throughout my brain, when I sit down and write. Thank you that I have a computer. God and Satan can both work through seemingly minuscule scenarios; be careful about what is happening. Thanks that I have family and friends who care about me. 

Here's a quote from the film Waking Life: "Seems like everyone's sleep-walking through their waking state, or wake-walking through their dreams. Either way, they're not going to get much out of it." 

Thank God for the details. When you're in the storm, recognize that there's more than yourself in this world. There's more than the people, more than the sounds, more than the visuals. Don't take people out of the world, but take the world out of people. Thank God during times of disaster. Thank God for joy. Thank God for Heaven. Thank God for what you physically have, because there is no guarantee that you will have it tomorrow. You don't even know that tomorrow will come for you. 

You don't have be thankful for everything that happens to you; you don't have to find satisfaction in every situation. But, followers of Christ are called to be thankful to God in all circumstances. I'll be honest, I'm in a rough season of life. But, things could be far worse than they are. When I am anxious, depressed, in distress, I am clearly not happy.

But it's not about happiness, it's about joy. I'm joyful that God offers Heaven as a promise to those who follow him. I'm joyful that I can be friends with Jesus. I'm joyful that I am seen by God. I'm joyful that forgiveness is continually offered. It's a privilege that there are ancient documents left for us to study. It's a privilege that I have a brain, eyes, ears, feet, legs, head, arms, hands. But, these can be used for disastrous purposes, so I've got to be careful with how I use them.

The past three years have been the most challenging years of my life. I am still struggling. I haven't been pleased with everything that has happened to me in and of itself, but I am thankful for what these trials have done, and what they may have the opportunity to do. There is unity to be found through pain, and I think that people need to discuss upon struggles more often (especially those who seek to follow God). Look at Paul for example, I mean, he struggled a lot (Romans 7:21-25). No, not every day is a terrible day, but pain is intrinsic to human beings. This isn't about forming a happy religion, this is about seeking reality (which I believe is found through God, and God only). You might really do something for someone else when you open up about yourself. I can personally testify that Christ has worked through me to encourage others through the pain that I've experienced. I'm not just assuming that, as people have directly told me. The more I live, the more misunderstood I seem to become; I don't even understand who I am. It's easy to idolize our own personalities, or the personalities of others. Seek The Giver, not the gifts.

We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil.

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

2 comments: