Wednesday 25 December 2013

Jen, You Win

What is persuading us that all of this is real? The most mechanical of actions are found glistening under radiant lights: natural landscapes, romance, bad times, music, conversation, recreation, fun times, love. What has made us believe that these objects, actions and moments are genuine though? What truly makes something real? And what if real is not real, after all?

Does genuineness exist? If so, what is the origin of genuineness? Can a material object obtain genuineness? If a material object can obtain genuineness, can it somehow lose that characteristic? If the material object can lose that characteristic, can it gain that characteristic back? Is genuineness subjective or absolute?

I would like to return to one of the questions I asked in the first paragraph. "What has made us believe that these objects, actions and moments (romance, fun times, music, conversation, love, etc) are genuine...?" More specifically, what has made us believe that human beings are genuine? My intention is not to sound cruel, but is a human anything more than just skin and bones romping around? 

Recently, I have found the ever changing moments of each day to be quite astounding. For example, I could be staring at a painting hanging on a wall and nothing is stopping me from seeing that painting. But all of a sudden, somebody enters the room and stands in front of the painting, and now I cannot see the work of art. Only seconds ago, I could see the art with such clarity and now I cannot. The art still exists and so does the human obstructing my vision from seeing the art, but it seems as though the human has a dominant position over the art. And perhaps that is a remnant of the evidence that asserts that humans are genuine: we can hold a dominant position over other objects, both living and non-living.

Life is similar to a collage, in the sense that it is composed of layers upon layers, and the pieces of paper all die away. Although, collages usually contain elements that are not normally associated with one another. But in the case of human existence, there is this static physicality that is inevitable.

Assuming that humans are genuine, is genuineness created by an immaterial and external source and inherited by humans, or is genuineness created by humans in and of themselves? If it is created by an immaterial and external source, then how does that external source define genuineness? If it is created by humans, then how do humans define genuineness?

When I say immaterial and external source, I am referring to God. I am asserting that God creates genuineness and allows people to inherit that characteristic. I do not think that we as people have the ability to create genuineness, nor do I think that we should attempt to define genuineness. I have yet to believe that humankind has a single objective to offer, apart from mounds of unsatisfying subjectivity.

To be honest, I still do not know what genuineness is and I still do not know what the objective is (though the objective was only mentioned very briefly). But I do believe that they can be found. I have been asking myself the past few weeks, "Why do I believe that there is an objective and why do I believe that God exists?" I have yet to find answers to those questions too.

Question marks are shaped like ears, yet we rarely hear any answers. Shapes of sounds, shapes of visuals, it is all so puzzling. And these are not just abstract ideas that I am talking about. These are the conversations that we immerse ourselves into, the fun times, the ideas we have about love, the music we hear, the skies we stare at, the eyes we stare into. Is there genuineness within this carnival of shifting shapes?

No comments:

Post a Comment