Tuesday 18 June 2013

LGBT

Please note: this is not intended to personally attack or judge anybody (gay, straight, Christian, non-Christian, etc). I am not the judge; God is the judge. With this article, I am simply documenting the thoughts, questions, observations, and minimal knowledge that I have. Thank you for reading.

Pride Week occurs in Toronto from June 21-30; since this is a yearly event, and since Gay Parades have been happening since 1969, I decided that I would elaborate on the topic of homosexuality (and yes, I am aware that this does not cover the entire spectrum of the LGBT community). Personally, I think that it's important for Christians to take this community into consideration. Not only will I be focusing on homosexuality though, as I will also be talking about heterosexual relationships. 

I noticed an advertisement aimed toward the LGBT community on iTunes today, which was promoting music, TV shows, books and movies. Observing this made me wonder: why don't I see advertisements which promote heterosexual-influenced movies, music, and such? Now, I'm not going to answer that question here, but I think it's worth considering.

Some heterosexuals are quick to say “it’s a choice to be a homosexual”, but did that person choose to be attracted to the opposite sex? At this point in my understanding, my belief is this: some people are naturally attracted toward the same gender, thus having the temptation to act upon that attraction. Do I think that acting upon the temptation is sinful? Yes, I do (Romans 1:26-27).  

Gay relationships are often emphasized as being "the only type of relationships that aren't pure". Are gay relationships wrong in and of themselves? Honestly, I haven't found anything Biblical to support gay relationships, so at this point my belief is that they go against God's intentions. However, I don't think that it's only homosexual relationships that go against God's intentions, as I believe that many heterosexual relationships do as well. Just because it's a straight relationship, doesn't automatically mean that it pleases God. Is there anything directly wrong with a heterosexual relationship? No, I don't believe such as being true (Genesis 2:18). There is so much injustice and evil that takes place between opposite sexes though. This is a bit of a detour, as I won't solely be focusing on heterosexual relationships. At this moment, I will be focusing on social problems, which happen to affect both males and females. Sexual abuse constantly takes place (commonly a man abusing a woman, but not always), lust is socially acceptable, misogyny and misandry have become ubiquitous, men choose to sleep around with women and gain admiration from that, while women can sleep around with men, yet earn the title of "being a slut". If the female is being called a slut, than the male should be called a slut too. The egotistical nature of people is absolutely disgusting, and does not honor God.

Matthew 5:28 ... But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Not only does 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 mention homosexuals, but it also mentions fornicators and adulterers. But, doesn't every person have thoughts that aren't sexually pure, once they reach a certain age? Is it even possible to be in a pure heterosexual relationship? Where does your romantic attraction come from? Are you responsible enough to truly love another person? Do you even know what love is? Do you recognize all of the damage that has occurred because of relationships? What if you become destructive because of a relationship? What if the other person becomes destructive? Are you only interested in a relationship for what you can get from the other person? In what ways do you think about the person you are attracted to? I think that it's so important to question and examine ourselves.

Many people will say to "follow your heart", but I disagree with that statement.

Jeremiah 17:9-10 ... The heart is more deceitful than all else, and is desperately sick; Who can understand it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds.

Examine your heart, examine your soul, examine your mind, examine your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment